This article is an excerpt from the Shortform summary of "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. Shortform has the world's best summaries of books you should be reading.
Like this article? Sign up for a free trial here .
Have you ever wondered how to change your negative mindset? Is it even possible, and what benefits are there to changing it?
Discovering how to change your negative mindset is a process that takes a lot of work and persistence. But you’ll benefit from having a positive mindset, and the work you did to get there. Here’s how you can do it.
How to Change Your Negative Mindset
The first step of learning how to change your negative mindset is to learn to love yourself. You must love yourself before you can bring love to you. When you don’t love yourself, it is impossible to feel good. But negativity cannot exist in a body full of love. You’ll never learn how to change your negative mindset if you don’t first love yourself.
Believe you are worthy of all the good things life has to offer. There is no time or size limit for the Law of Attraction. Anything your heart desires can be yours. A future where you have it already exists. Your future self exists as a possibility in the universe. Use your power of creation to call it forth.
Start small, attracting things you believe are possible. Once you see the Law of Attraction at work, you will have more faith. The stronger your faith, the stronger your ability to attract. You are the master of your own universe. Create the life you want, and be happy because you deserve it. Appreciating what you have is an important first step in understanding how to change your negative mindset.
How a Negative Mindset Hurts You, and How Changing It Helps
If you allow your thoughts to be dominated by negative thinking, you are creating a negative frequency. The Law of Attraction doesn’t distinguish between good thoughts or bad thoughts. The universe can only transmit the pictures you send out with your thoughts. If you focus on what you don’t want, you will attract what you don’t want back to you. This is important to know about how to change your negative mindset, and it’s a motivating reason to change it.
- For example, think about being stuck in a job you don’t like. Focusing on feeling stuck in a dead-end job creates a frequency with that energy. Since like attracts like, the energy vibration of your negative thought (stuck in job) can only create and receive a picture of you stuck. You will continue to be stuck until you change the frequency to what you want.
- Instead of focusing on what you don’t want, let thoughts of what you do want dominate your mind.
- If you have a pest problem in your home, and you consistently think “I don’t want pests in my home,” the signal you’re sending into the universe surrounds the idea of pests in your home. According to the Law of Attraction, you are attracting more pests into your home.
- If instead you say, “I want a clean and sanitary home,” the universe will understand, pick up that signal, and conspire to keep your home pest-free.
Don’t worry about being perfect with positive thoughts; nobody is perfect, and learning how to change your negative mindset is a process. We all think negative thoughts from time to time. Nothing can come into your existence unless you summon it with persistent thoughts. Therefore, a negative thought once in a while is nothing to worry about. Bad things only come into your life when you think about them persistently.
You may have experienced negative circumstances in your past and felt you were simply unlucky. Those circumstances were likely a result of being unaware of the power of your thoughts, and not knowing how to change your negative mindset. There’s no reason to blame yourself. Now you know to change the frequency of your thoughts to a positive one to create a positive picture of your life.
- If you previously believed you had no control over outside circumstances, the underlying message you created was one of fear, separation, and powerlessness. That frequency had no choice but to bring people, events, or situations that perpetuate those feelings in your life.
- For example, if you believe you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time, you are attracting the wrong circumstances to you.
- Instead, if you believe that the outside world is yours to design, you will have the power to design it. Think “I am always safe and immune to external dangers,” and the universe will make it so.
Your negative thoughts about others create the same outcome. You cannot hurt another with your thoughts, just yourself. If you focus on what you don’t like about someone, you will attract more people with that trait. Likewise, if you focus on wanting something bad to happen to someone, all the universe picks up is the bad thing. Guess who that bad thing gets brought to?
- For example, if you think, “I hope Melissa fails her drivers test,” you’ve signaled the vibrations of failing. That vibration mixes with yours, as the owner of the thought, and you are now attracting failure to your life.
- Through the Law of Attraction, negative thoughts about another person draw harm into existence. By calling harm into existence through your thoughts, you are placing yourself on that frequency. You are attracting the harm back to you as the pictures you emit.
- If you don’t want to be harmed, avoiding that negative frequency is a good way to ensure you aren’t.
There is no trick to subverting negative thoughts. Set your intention to only think good things. Declare that your negative thoughts have no power. Declare that your positive thoughts are the most powerful. Proclaim and believe the universe is a good place. The Law of Attraction will reflect pictures back that allow you to experience it as such.
Learning how to change your negative mindset is part of the process of mastering the law of attraction. Becoming more positive can help you manifest the things you want in your life, and have an overall positive attitude.
———End of Preview———
Like what you just read? Read the rest of the world's best summary of Rhonda Byrne's "The Secret" at Shortform .
Here's what you'll find in our full The Secret summary :
- How to visualize the future you want to increase your success
- Why visualization works, according to the laws of the universe
- Why thinking about negative things sabotages your success