This article is an excerpt from the Shortform book guide to "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D. Wattles. Shortform has the world's best summaries and analyses of books you should be reading.
Like this article? Sign up for a free trial here .
How do you learn how to avoid negative thoughts? What are the dangers of negative thoughts?
You learn how to avoid negative thoughts by ignoring depressing issues like poverty and focusing on the endless possibilities of a brighter future. Negative thoughts will keep you distracted from thinking about a better life. If you only think about negative things, you will only attract negativity.
Read on to learn how to avoid negative thoughts.
How to Avoid Negative Thoughts
Original Substance will send whatever you’re thinking about in your direction. Ideally, you’re thinking about getting rich, but if you get distracted and think about negative things, those are what the Original Substance will manifest.
For example, if you see someone poor, you’ll think about poverty, and the Original Substance will send poverty your way. Poverty is a particularly dangerous thing to think about because it’s the exact opposite of what you want.
Here is how to avoid negative thoughts and to stop thinking about poverty:
- Look beyond the visible surface level to the deeper truths.
- For example, if you start thinking about poverty, remember that resources are infinite and poverty doesn’t really exist.
- Avoid negativity.
- For example, avoid anything to do with poverty. Don’t try to eradicate it, don’t raise your awareness of it, and don’t do charity work.
- Recall that life, by nature, is advancing. Something negative may exist now, but it won’t in the future (unless you keep dwelling on it, which causes it to continue to manifest.)
- For example, anyone can rise out of poverty by following the Certain Way.
- Change your frame of reference.
- For example, think of the poor as people on their way to becoming rich.
In addition to avoiding poverty, specifically avoid thinking about:
- Alternative ways the world might work. By following the instructions in this book, you’ve committed to one way, so why spend brainpower considering other theories?
- Negative news. Only look at optimistic coverage.
- The occult. Don’t think about the dead or how you might reach them.
———End of Preview———
Like what you just read? Read the rest of the world's best book summary and analysis of Wallace D. Wattles's "The Science of Getting Rich" at Shortform .
Here's what you'll find in our full The Science of Getting Rich summary :
- The three-step method that's guaranteed to make you rich
- Why God wants you to be rich
- How to follow the "Certain Way" and share it with others