Want to know what books Timothy Beal recommends on their reading list? We've researched interviews, social media posts, podcasts, and articles to build a comprehensive list of Timothy Beal's favorite book recommendations of all time.
This clarion call to action, assembled by Stanton and a committee of prominent feminists, consists of a book-by-book examination of the Bible, placing events in their historical context, interpreting... more
This clarion call to action, assembled by Stanton and a committee of prominent feminists, consists of a book-by-book examination of the Bible, placing events in their historical context, interpreting passages as both allegory and fact, and comparing them with the myths of other cultures. Over a century later, it endures as an extraordinary document because of the questions it addresses, the topics it covers, and the still-resonant sincerity of its righteous indignation.
Readers with an interest in theology, women's studies, or American history will find this milestone of religious and feminist literature an ever-relevant source of information and inspiration. less
Timothy BealThis was an historic breakthrough in biblical scholarship. Elizabeth Cady Stanton, the great women’s rights activist, was the main editor. It’s a commentary on the Bible from a feminist perspective, published over a century ago and produced by women biblical scholars of the time. Its contributors were a small voice in the academic world and this brought their voices together. More than any other... (Source)
Timothy BealIt’s trying to be. It’s green in terms of the materials it’s made from. And it tries to guide readers towards an environmental engagement with the text. It’s a growing interest among many Christians, even conservative evangelicals. This Bible literally highlights in green the texts that have ecological implications. (Source)
No knowledge of Hebrew is required for one to make use of this unique volume. The Jewish Study Bible uses The Jewish Publication Society... more
No knowledge of Hebrew is required for one to make use of this unique volume. The Jewish Study Bible uses The Jewish Publication Society TANAKH Translation.
Since its publication, the Jewish Study Bible has become one of the most popular volumes in Oxford's celebrated line of bibles. The quality of scholarship, easy-to-navigate format, and vibrant supplementary features bring the ancient text to life.
* Informative essays that address a wide variety of topics relating to Judaism's use and interpretation of the Bible through the ages.
* In-text tables, maps, and charts.
* Tables of weights and measures.
* Verse and chapter differences.
* Table of Scriptural Readings.
* Glossary of technical terms.
* An index to all the study materials.
* Full color New Oxford Bible Maps, with index. less
- Introductions and extensive annotations for each book by acknowledged experts in the field provide context and guidance.... more
- Introductions and extensive annotations for each book by acknowledged experts in the field provide context and guidance.
- Introductory essays on major groups of biblical writings - Pentateuch, Prophets, Gospels, and other sections - give readers an overview that guides more intensive study.
- General essays on history, translation matters, different canons in use today, and issues of daily life in biblical times inform the reader of important aspects of biblical study.
- Maps and diagrams within the text contextualize where events took place and how to understand them.
- Color maps give readers the geographical orientation they need for understanding historical accounts throughout the Bible.
- Timelines, parallel texts, weights and measures, calendars, and other helpful tables help navigate the biblical world.
- An extensive glossary of technical terms demystifies the language of biblical scholarship.
- An index to the study materials eases the way to the quick location of information.
The New Oxford Annotated Bible, with twenty new essays and introductions and others--as well as annotations--fully revised, offers the reader flexibility for any learning style. Beginning with a specific passage or a significant concept, finding information for meditation, sermon preparation, or academic study is straightforward and intuitive.
A volume that users will want to keep for continued reference, The New Oxford Annotated Bible continues the Oxford University Press tradition of providing excellence in scholarship for the general reader. Generations of users attest to its status as the best one-volume Bible reference tool for any home, library, or classroom.
Don't have time to read Timothy Beal's favorite books? Read Shortform summaries.
Shortform summaries help you learn 10x faster by:
- Being comprehensive: you learn the most important points in the book
- Cutting out the fluff: you focus your time on what's important to know
- Interactive exercises: apply the book's ideas to your own life with our educators' guidance.